Thursday, February 9, 2012

Having a problem getting your veggies in?

Hello all!  It's that time again!  Time for the recipe of the week!  I don't know about you, but I have been having a hard time getting my veggies in during the long, cold, winter months.  Salads are just not as appealing to me this time of year.  One way to mix comfort with health is do make a delicious veggie soup!  NOT canned soup....way too much sodium.  make your own so you can cut the sodium.  Boot Camper Alicia gave me this one.  My mom and I made it the other night and it was delish!  For lunch today I had it again and added a little left over brown rice to it.  Make a HUGE pot, freeze it, and you have dinner at the drop of a hat!


Veggie Soup (This recipe reflects it being doubled)



1 bag of matchstick carrots

1 cup diced onion

Garlic (I use a lot because I love it!)

48 oz of Beef Broth (low sodium)

2 cups of diced cabbage (I just got a small head and used the whole thing)

2 cups fresh spinach

2 TBS tomato paste

¼ TBS basil

½ TBS Oregano    *I just used Italian seasoning instead of these two

1 cup zucchini



-Spray large pan with Pam

-Sautee carrots, onion, and garlic over low heat – about 5 min

-Add broth, cabbage, spinach, tomato paste, seasonings

-Bring to a boil

-Reduce heat simmer covered for 15 min

-Stir in zucchini and cook about 3-4 min




ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment