Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's Time to Fire Up the Grill!

Finally....it's nice enough to get that grill going!  This is the easiest time of year to eat healthy.  I know we are all strapped for time.  Baseball is in full effect and many evenings, many families end up at the drive thru because they are running around.  I have a solution for you....but it will take some work.  Come Hell or high water you MUST block out 2 hours per week to devote to grocery shopping.  Before you go, plan your meals for the week and make a list.  This time of year focus on grilling lean meats and eating lots of salads that are quick and easy.  My dinner last night is a perfect example:

I made grilled fish and veggies last night.  I went to Hannaford on Sunday and bought some Cod (lean, whitefish).  I bought enough for dinner for the family and for leftovers.  I was very busy yesterday so early in the day when I had FIVE minutes, I took the fish out and cut it into individual servings.  I then wrapped each piece in foil with a TEENY bit of olive oil, sea salt and pepper.  I then put it in the fridge.  At about 5:30 last night, I fired up the grill, grabbed it out of the fridge and slapped it on the grill for 12 minutes.  In the 12 minutes that it was grilling, I mixes some bean sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms and peppers (bought PRE-sliced) and sauteed the veggies with a little bit of olive oil.

In 15 minutes, my family was enjoying an extremely healthy, high protein, low calorie meal.  I have one piece of fish left and I will eat that over a salad or make  sandwich with it for lunch today.

If you plan ahead, you will set yourself up for success, not failure.  No one said eating healthy is easy.  However, with a little effort, it's very doable!

some other quick and easy grilling ideas:  pork loin, turkey burgers, portabella mushroom burgers, chicken breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment