Friday, September 9, 2011

Comfort Food: Butter Nut Squash Soup Recipe

Living with my mom has certainly introduced me to lots of foods.  She is MORTIFIED with the fact that I do not enjoy cooking.  Sometimes she starts preparing dinner at 3:00 in the afternoon and works on it for hours.  She really is a great cook.  However, I am a healthy influence on her and I educate her everyday about nutrition and different ways that we can modify some of her recipes to make them healthier.  The other night she made meatloaf with 93% lean beef and shredded an entire zucchini into the mixture to give it some moisture.  It was to DIE for! She also taught me how to make squash soup the other night.  It is one of those foods that is comforting, but loaded with fruit and veggies and is just delicious.  Here is the recipe and some pictures along the way!




chunks of apples and squash

My mom yelled at me for pretending to cook.  I posed for this.  she did the pulsing
Finished product!
3 lbs of butter nut squash cut in small pieces
3 golden delicious apples cut in small pieces, peeled
14 oz cups of vegetable broth or chichen broth
1 cup of 1% milk.  (do not use fat free half and half.  I tried it one time and it curdled...yuck)
1.5 cups of water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp of thyme
coarse black pepper


cook up diced squash, apples and broth until soft
pulse with food processor or blender until smooth
let cool for a while
put back on the stove and add the milk.  Simmer until ready to eat!

Try it out and let me know what you think.  Cals: 150, Protein: 2, about 7 grams of fat.  It is filling so 1 cup is all you will need! 

No comments:

Post a Comment