Monday, September 12, 2011

New School Year, New Workout Plan

Every summer I take the month of August off from the gym.  I'm burnt out by August every year.  I need to take the month of to change things up for the summer and to refresh my workout routine.  I always listen to my body and if I have any aches and pains, or if my back flares up (I have a bad back), I take a BREAK! I cannot stress how important rest is when you are an avid exerciser.  With that said, for the past 6 weeks I have not lifted one weight or performed one push up (until today).  I ran and took spin classes all summer long.  My weight stayed the same, but I must admit, I am a little softer.  So, today my new weight training routine started.  I felt refreshed!  Though I had to decrease the weight I was lifting because it has been 6 weeks, I will build it up fast with a new sense of strength and feeling refreshed and rested!  I have a half marathon coming up in 4 weeks, so I need not only focus on increasing my mileage in regards to running but it's very important for me to cross train through weight lifting and spinning in order to keep my major upper and lower body muscles STRONG for my race.

BCC Peeps running the half marathon last year.  What a great race!
Cross training will help to prevent injury.  My new workout routine for the next 4 weeks is as follows:

MONDAY:  UPPER BODY WEIGHT CIRCUIT/ABS  (40 MINUTES) AND 30 MINUTES OF ELLIPTICAL TRAINER

TUESDAY:  LOWER BODY WEIGHT TRAINING/ABS  (40 MINUTES) AND 20 MINUTES OF ELLIPTICAL TRAINER

WEDNESDAY:  60 MINUTE SPIN WITH CHRIS AT THE REVOLUTION!

THURSDAY:  PUSH UP DAY (200 PUSH UPS AND CORE EXERCISES) AND 2-3 MILE RUN

FRIDAY:   5-6 MILE RUN MIXED WITH SOME WALKING LUNGES

SATURDAY:  OFF

SUNDAY:   LONG RUN.  9-11 MILES

Normally I would take 2 days off per week, but until the half marathon I will need to workout six days.  Thursdays will be an easy day and Saturdays off each week.

I love the fall.  I always feel refreshed and renewed with my workouts.  Remember...there is no quick fix.  There is no magic pill or shake.  Blood, sweat, tears, sweat and more sweat.  Push yourself, but respect your limitations :)

Be well!

www.makeitfittraining.com

1 comment:

  1. An effective work out plan is the key for good health. Every year I make sure that I can create my own work out plan.

    ReplyDelete