Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cabin Fever Food Finds

I love my children. They are the light of my life, but if they had another day off today, I may have pulled my hair out.  There is only so much Mario Kart and Wii Wheel of Fortune we could play.  I am taking a break from Just Dance 2 because I threw my back out a few weeks ago trying to beat my score on the "sweat meter" to "It's Raining Men".  With that said, there is something about a lazy, cozy snow day at home.  Sometimes, these cozy, lazy days at home can trigger that need for "comfort food".  I knew when my hubby finally made it home from work last night, he would be cold and hungry and in need for some comfort food. However, traditional comfort food can lead to traditional fat so I came up with a great, healthy comfort food, snow day meal.  He loved it, the kids loved and I have leftovers for 3 days now!  Wooo hooo!  Here is Make It Fit Mel's recipe for Chicken Chili: 

2-3 skinless, boneless chix breast (or ground chicken)
2 cans of crushed tomatoes 
1 can of white kidney beans (rinsed)
1 green pepper
1 medium onion
1-2 packet of low sodium chili seasoning or your own seasoning (depending on your taste.
Spray the bottom of a large saucepan with Pam.  Chop your onion and pepper and sautee until soft.  Add your crushed tomatoes, kidney beans and chicken.  I used leftover chicken from the night before.  I cooked up 6 huge chicken breasts and we ate half for dinner the night before and I chopped up the rest into cubes and threw it in my chili.  Once it simmers, add the chili seasoning.  Simmer for at least an hour to maximize flavor.
Serve alone or over ONE serving of brown rice.

Cals:  Brown rice:  150 cals/serving (1 cup cooked) PS…1 cup is a lot of rice!
Cals:  Chili:  about 250 cals/cup

This is a great source of lean protein from the chicken and the beans.  You are also getting a serving or two of veggies from the green pepper and crushed tomatoes.  The beans also provide “good” carbs.

Tune in during the next snow storm for a Cabin Fever Workout!

~Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment