Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cabin Fever Part Two...The Workout

I feel really sorry for people who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).  This weather can be a real downer.  Somehow we need to figure out a way to work WITH the weather and not AGAINST it.  So we cannot get outside and go for a jog and our kids are missing yet another day of valuable education.  With that said, take a second to look outside.  The snow looks beautiful.  Part of the reason I live in the Northeast is because of the dramatic changes of season.  I wouldn't ask for anything else.  However, I need to get away from my home office and MOVE today.  My plan of 3 laps of walking lunges around the YMCA track, lower body weight training, running my 5K a day and my 15 minutes on the stationary bike has been shattered.  NO EXCUSES though!  I will be taking my children on a snow adventure today.  We will trudge through the snow and journey down to my mother's house. We will find the deepest snow to walk through while pretending to be lost in the snowy mountains.  Trudging through deep snow will burn some serious calories for sure!  I suppose I should shovel too. But I won't.  I hate shoveling.  I would rather shoot myself in the foot then shovel. I have a bad back and the last time I shoveled (about 5 years ago), I was in pain for days even though I made sure I had great form and used my legs to lift rather then my back.  So, I will tell all my readers to go out and shovel to burn some cals.  However, I will be curled up with my kindl and a cup of coffee next to the fire place.  I will venture out with the kids today on our snowy mountain adventure, do today's workout tomorrow, tomorrow's workout Friday and I will get my 5 days in.  I also have signed up for a 2 hour spin class at the Y on Sunday.  It's a fundrasier and for a good cause so why the heck not?  I probably won't be able to sit for days, but that's about 1200-1400 calories burned!  Whoo!!!!  So, here is my recommendation for a great at-home, cabin fever, total body workout. You will need a stop watch and a jumprope (jumprope is optional)

1. 5 minutes of jumping rope, jogging in place or running up and down your stairs

2. 5 minutes of 10 push ups (on the wall, on your knees or on your toes), flip and do 20 crunches or sit ups (repeat for 5 min)

3. 5 minutes of walking lunges around your house

beginners:  complete sequence, rest for 3 minutes and repeat the sequence again for a total of 30 min
intermed:   repeat 3x (45 min)
advanced:  repate 4x (60 min)

Completing this workout works your entire upper body, your lower body and your heart.  Have a great snow day and enjoy your little ones today.  These days will go by fast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment