Friday, June 3, 2011

Let's Talk about Moderation

So, I'm on my way to Four Winds with my son Anthony to see the wonderful, Dr. Daley, Psychiatrist.  Because of Anthony's Aspergers and high anxiety, he is monitored by Dr.  Daley.  I just love this guy.  He has helped us tremendously.  Today I have a concern that I need to talk with him about.  My son doesn't understand moderation.  Granted, he is on a medication that increases his appetite, but this kid could eat and eat and eat and eat.  He is a bottomless pit and when there are sweets around, forget it.  He tunes out, glazes over and shovels it in as if he will never eat again.  I want my child to have a good relationship with food, so I allow my kids to eat sweets in moderation.  They gets one sweet per day or so.  They can have some ice cream after dinner, a few cookies at a family BBQ, etc...However, once Anthony starts with the sweets, he cannot stop and when I cut him off, he perseverates over it.  I am at a brick wall on this one.  I do NOT want my child to develop a negative relationship with food.  I see way too many eating disorders in kids these days and the cycle needs to be broken.  Let's see what Doc comes up with. 

I bring this up because I have many clients that struggle with the concept of moderation.  What a hard concept to master (if mastery is even possible).  My advice is not to rate food as "good" or "bad".  Be conscious of what goes into your mouth and as you work through the process, you will hopefully find that you begin craving the nutrient-dense foods more than the "sometimes" foods.

Personal example...when I started caring about my health (about 17 years ago), I went from fast food every day to fast foods only on the weekends.  Then I went to only once during the weekend.  With time, I found myself only having fast food on the road when nothing else was an option (alert:  there are ALWAYS options).  Now I clearly remember the last time I had fast food.  It was 9 years ago.  I NEVER crave it.  Not in the least bit.  It took time, however....LOTS of time.  My advice is to be patient with yourself and remember...getting healthy is a process.  The concept of moderation is a process.  Changing exercise and nutrition habits is a process.  Work on it every day for the rest of your life :)  It does get easier...I promise.

www.makeitfittraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment