Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Get Medical Clearance Before Playing Wii

Okay, well maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. However, I threw my back out in December playing Just Dance 2 trying to blow the "sweat o meter" out of the water while dancing for my life to "Proud Mary" and my darn back hasn't been the same since.  I immediately went to see Dr. Alicia at Select Care Chiropractic (they are AWESOME there...I highly recommend it), and she put me back together so i could get back into the Just Dance 2 game and back to the gym.  However, my back really hasn't been the same. I then injured it again, trying to make gingerbread cookies...What?  Did I really just admit that?  Then yesterday, I was all excited for my Monday morning workout, and again...it started to ache right before I went to the gym.  I did go to the gym and worked through it, staying away from any exercises that would strain my lower back.  I actually felt better after my upper body strength workout and running 3 miles.  However, I didn't want to overdo it, so  I took the day off and I really do feel much better.  However, I still feel a little pain so I will heat it when I can today (in all my spare time...)  It's important to listen to your body, people. If you are in pain or have an injury, do NOT ignore it.  It could just lead to more serious complications.  I KNOW that I do not stretch enough and that I need to learn some more exercises that focus more on strengthening my lower back.  I will continue to get regular chiropractic care, go for a massage and I will definitely start to incorporate some more stretching into my routine.  Lesson here, people...do NOT ignore your pain and seek medical attention when needed.  If your body is telling you to rest, then DO IT!  Remember, your rest days are just as important as your workout days!  We only have one body and we should treat it with respect by feeding it well, strengthening it, stretching it and paying attention to aches and pains. Stay tuned for my next entry...a day in the life of Mel's food journal.  YIKES!  I will expose it all.....

Happy Tuesday!
www.makeitfittraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment