Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Put Me Out of My Exercise MISERY!!!!!

The lights go down and the door shuts...you assess the unfamiliar person who will torture you for the next 60 minutes and  you put your life in her hands. After a 60 second first-impression, you decide that from the way she looks, her physique and the expression on her face, she will provide a torturous, yet satisfying experience.  She gets on her throne and looks out to her 30 victims, making eye contact with noone.  Your adrenaline starts to pump as your feet begin to pedal and you are excited to get all of your anger, anxiety and stress out.  You are in the zone, ready to ROCK.  Then the music begins...she starts the warm-up with Barry Manilow.  Okay, you like Barry, but not for working out. Your heart rate actually decreases when it should be increasing.  However, you give her the benefit of the doubt.  After a torturous 3 minutes and 30 seconds of Barry you are anxiously awaiting the next song.  This one is not much better.  You cannot identify it but you vaguely remember hearing it on Delilah the night before as you were trying to fall asleep.  You now feel trapped.  You are praying to the gods above that your toddler has a meltdown in the babysitting room on the other end of the gym and that someone will come in and tell you that you need to remove your unruly child immediately. However, it doesn't happen.  You are stuck in a Spin Prison, unable to escape.  Yes, you could walk out and jump on the dreadmill, but you may get busted and insult the instructor.  So you continue in this workout Hell for the next hour.  You try your best to work hard, but the music is completely ruining your workout experience.  Once the class ends, you can't escape fast enough.  You feel disappointed and unmotivated only to go home and eat a pint of ice cream because the melancholy music that was played for an hour actually put you into a slight depression.  A depression that only ice cream can fix.  You lose your motivation to try new things and go back to light intensity on the elliptical every day for the next month and wonder why you can't lose weight?  Sound familiar?  MUSIC!!!!!!!!!   I want to address the importance of MUSIC when you workout.  Whether you are in a spin class, aerobic class, boot camp class, pumping iron or running on the treadmill, music can make or break your workout.  As a Boot Camp Challenge Instructor, I try to find balance in my play lists.  If it was up to me, I would play 80's hairband music sprinkled with a little heavy metal and topped with even a little fist-pump music.  However, I KNOW for certain that my clients who's ages range from early 20's- late 60's probably won't come back if I play White Snake and Pit Bull every class. Therefore, I always ask them to send over musical requests to keep my music diverse.  As far as my own workouts,  I have complied a list of my favorite weight training play list and my favorite dreadmill play list. These are my favorites today.  I will get sick of them soon and move on in a few weeks to different play lists.  Give them a listen on itunes!  Please note:  I always listen to heavier music while pumping iron:

Weight Training
Headstrong by Trapt
Paralyzer by Finger Eleven
Fire Woman by The Cult
Control by Puddle of Mudd
Panama by Van Halen
Still of the Night by Whitesnake
Figured you Out by Nickelback
Fuel by Metallica
Decode by Paramore

5K A Day
Shake That by Eminem
Next Contestant by Nickelback
I Like It by Enrique and Pit Bull
Ready to Go by Republica
What's My Name by Rihanna and Drake
Waka Waka by Shakira
Getting Over You by David Guetta and Chris Willis (Fergie is in there too)
Most Black Eyed Pea songs :)
Kick Start My Heart by Motley Crue
Brand New Day by Sting

Music can be a HUGE motivator when working out.  So invest in an ipod and start downloading some motivating awesome music.  Hopefully, some of my suggestions will help burn a few calories! 

www.makeitfittraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment