1. switch sugary cereals with more nutrient-dense, lower sugar cereals. Dry cereal can be a great, healthy snack instead of Cheese It's or chips. Here is one of my kids favorites:
2. Trade in the white bread for whole wheat bread. Whole grain breads are much more nutrient-dense. They may not like it at first, but keep on trying!
3. Pack them well-balanced, protein-rich healthy snacks/lunches for school! Great choices are; cheese sticks, yogurts, turkey/cheese roll-ups, cheese and Triscuit crackers, nuts and peanut butter (watch the nut allergies though)
4. Change up those sugary juices and drinks for plain old water. We limit to once per week of soda or juice and the rest of the time it's milk or water.
5. Eat dinner together most nights. I know it's tough with the crazy schedules we all have. However, studies show that families that eat together, are healthier families! Stopping at fast-food drive-thrus for burgers and fries on your way to soccer, defeats the purpose of soccer and exercise! Take time to COOK for your family. Yes, it takes sacrifice and planning, but it's worth it! We also hear LOTS of stuff that goes on at school and on the bus when we are sitting around the dinner table chatting as a family. We eat together EVERY night. I know it will get harder as the boys get older, but for now we cherish that time as a family and clear our evening schedules so it can happen.
Have a great day everyone!